Thursday, April 29, 2010

Where does our FOOD come from?...Find out now.

I used to think our food came from farms nearest to its local market. Haven't you ever wondered where your food is imported from? Turns out that our food comes from near and far away places. I actually researched a couple of my groceries' travel distances. I found out that my Nestle Pure Life water travels 2476 miles, Nature Valley granola bars travel 1528 miles, bananas traveled 2199 miles, raisins traveled 178 miles, and bagels traveled 1739 miles. That's a long distance huh! And now, with this oil shortage going on it may become impossible for delivery trucks to travel long distances without sufficient gasoline. What will we do if it comes to living off of what's left on the store shelves? Will we have to starve ourselves till we find other sources of food? I do not wish for it to come to those circumstances that is why to reduce the amount of oil I use in a day I walk to places and/or ride my bike instead of using my car. We should also consider buying our produce at a local store nearby. Being a locavore can help save our oil =) For instance, the nearest farmer's market to home is on Fairfax and 3rd--The Original Farmer's Market. I go there all the time because there are many organic and non-organic products, and I do not have to drive a long way to get my fresh veggies and fruits--besides they grow their produce nearby. Do you know where's the closest market to your home? You should! It's good because instead of driving your car to the market you can walk, ride your bike, or take the public transportation to a nearby market.

SOURCE: la.eater
SOURCE: longhaultrucker

I've learned that buying organic products can help save our planet because everything is made from natural ingredients. Although organic fruits and veggies rotten much faster than those with chemicals and preservatives in them, it's worth the buy because they have this certain taste that will leave you tasteless--in a very good way =]

SOURCE: nuggetmarket

No comments:

Post a Comment